Sunday, August 3, 2008

Shrink Art Tutorial

So many of you have asked for a shrink art tutorial, so here it is. First you will need a sheet of shrink plastic, black stazon ink, scissors, versamagic inks, chalks, Q-tips and stamps.
Ink up your stamp with the black stazon ink. I use this ink because it will dry quicker and does not smear on shrink plastic. The shrink plastic sheet has a slippery surface, so be sure not to move the stamp around. Lift stamp off plastic after you have evenly pressed.

Next, cut out your image and try to make rounded cuts around the pointed parts of the image. This will help to prevent sharp ends after shrinking is done.
I usually use a Q-tip when using Versamagic inks. This picks up really well. Continue coloring your image until done.
There are a few ways to color onto shrink plastic. I use either Versamagic, or chalks. Chalks will come out with more powder-like effect, whereas the Versamagic is like a pigment chalk. Both work well.
Here are the 2 waiting to be shrunk. I place my shrink art in the toaster oven. There is no time limit that I set it for. I will keep it on the dial that says "toast" and just watch for it to shrink. The process is really quick, it takes about 10-12 seconds to start shrinking. Another way to shink it down is to use a heating gun. Just be sure when you do, prevent yourself from getting burned by the heat tool. Use a stylus tool to hold down your shrink art so it will not blow away. Don't use tweezers or anything completely metal, you could easily get burned.
They are now starting to curl and shrink at the same time.
You can definitely see that it's shrinking down.
Now, this is the end of the shrinking process. They are now slowly flattening out.
I use crystal lacquer to decorate my piece, this will also help to hold in the color used.
Once you cover the entire piece with crystal lacquer, you may want to add some glitter to give it a little shimmer.
I found that using a brush will be the easiest. The brush carries just the right amount of glitter to add.
Compare the stamp against the shrink art piece. BIG difference!! Once it has shrunk down, you can use this to create several items.
The first item, I have glued the piece to a mini clothespin, and attached it to hold papers.
The other one, I have connected it to a pin . These pins are mainly used for you to wear.
And, the other use I have found for this is to attach them on a push pin for your cork board.
I hope this has been an easy to follow, and helpful tutorial.

9 comments:

Denise said...

Wow, that is neat. I have never tried the shrink plastic. Thanks for sharing.

charlotte said...

Thanks, Denise, for your tutorial - there are endless things you can do with shrink plastic!

PaperCutting Kind of Day said...

Great tutorial! I would not have thought to color with those inks and so now I have something new to try! I also use my heatgun to shrink mine. The kind you use for heat embossing. It is a very quick and fast way to do it, it can just be a challenge to hold onto the piece.

Cathy said...

Hi Jodi!
I enjoyed watching your shrink plastic tutorial! I also didn't know you could color with those chalks. I like to do shrink plastic - but need to practice some more. Thanks!

Allison said...

Super looking tutorial! I have used shrink plastic before but never used chalk not never thought of these other applications...cool!

Curt in Carmel said...

This was great! I bought some shink plastic about two months ago and haven't done anything with it yet. This got me thinking about it again! Thanks! Best, Curt

Valerie said...

OH DUH! you did use the heat tool I wonder why mines gets so curled up when I try...am I doing something wrong?

Jen Young said...

very cool Jodi, I haven't used shrink plastic in a while... maybe I will play in your lil' challenge. I like to use my heating gun tho' instead of waiting for that oven to do the trick. It's twice as fast, and I love watching it shrink right before my eyes.

hugs,
Jen

Teri said...

I love your shrink art! I'm afraid to use the push pins you gave to me cuz I don't want anything to happen to them!!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

MY CARD CREATIONS